Google Earth (GE)
Don't let the image of a Google Earth logo scare you! Google Earth is free tool that chanced how we teach geography, geology, and even literature books! !
Google Earth is a free, downloadable application that works as a browser for all sorts of information of Earth. It uses satellite imagery to grab, spin, pan, tilt and zoom down to any place on Earth. Students can explore every corner of the globe, measure distances,
create their own virtual tours, and share their tours with others. You can also create and download layers of information and view them in geographic context. (taken from the West Ed document explaining Google Earth).
- GE's web site for teachers (explanations, links, etc)
- GE in the classroom (West Ed resource)- pdf
- Google Lit Trips (Lit books through Google Earth tours)
- Google Earth (GE) Geography- focus on Asia - see the amazing interactive quiz built into this activity!
- Hints on using GE in geography- use the hidden tools - great information about how to use GE in the study of geography!
- GE Posters (this site has posters for all of Google's products)
- History of WW II- samples of what can be done in the study of history - videos uploaded to YouTube.com
Google Earth Tutorials
- GE's handout created in colaboration with United Streaming (pdf)
- GE's own tutorials page- links to Google's own tutorials
- Google Lit Trip Tutorials
Advanced Links- cool stuff for advanced GE users